The concept of the Glenn Miller Tribute Band was realised by the late Andy Walker, a drummer from Bribie Island, who formed the initial band in 1995 and carried out the necessary research into the history of the world’s most popular Big Band.
New uniforms were imported from the US with authentic badges, rank insignia and the livery of “Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces” copied, as it appeared on the Glenn Miller music stands in Bedford, England in late 1944.
The Tribute Band performed a number of times during 1995, at various 50 Year Remembrance events. The largest, which was unfortunately cancelled due to rain, was the Air Show at Amberley, which was expected to draw in excess of 100,000 spectators. The band was so successful that it was decided to develop it both musically and commercially, under the leadership of the baritone saxophonist, Denis Hollingsworth.
Since those early days, the band was in great demand for performances at all kinds of functions, from outdoor ‘festival’ appearances, such as the Caboolture Air Show, to concerts and balls in many of the leading hotels in SouthEast Queensland, and the larger RSL clubs. It has given numerous concerts at the Brisbane City Hall, the Empire Theatre, Toowoomba, the Caloundra Arts Centre and the Gold Coast Arts Centre, (“Tropicarnival”).
A special attraction was added to the already very successful presentation in the form of a ‘guest appearance’ by our own tribute to the famous “Andrews Sisters”. This addition not only proved to be an immediate ‘hit’ with the audiences, but was in constant demand as an inclusion in the booking of the band.
In early 2006 The Glenn Miller Tribute Band and its assets were acquired by Barrie Gott under the umbrella of the Queensland Pops Orchestra. This enabled the Tribute Band to continue performing in locations around South East Queensland and broadened the resource base for the Band. The band continues to perform in genuine US Air Force regalia supported by the Andrews Sisters.